Thursday, May 27, 2010

I hate to gripe, but I will anyway...


Just a little rant about media, lack of decent reporting and over- all lack of hmm professional ethics?

I grew up thinking it was the job of newspapers and news programs to report news. News to me meant what was happening in the world, good and bad.

I was surprise to say the least that the Vancouver Sun never ran one story about the Nashville flood. I even did a search tonight and still not one word. BUT over the days and hours that it was happening, I did see lots of articles on fashion week, here and around the world.

People were losing their homes and lives and lively hood and I could only find news of Albania's and Australia's fashion weeks, sex scandals and where to eat if you're downtown.

Although the news does seem to be on top of the spill, I was also lead to the trough to see Venus's panties, America's new idol, and lots of 'news' about American TV fiction and yes 'celebrity make up accidents'. Am I really reading a NEWSpaper? Or something from the grocery store checkout line?

Surely there are better things to report. I use to think being a journalist was one of the most important jobs a person could have. In fact, I aspired to it. Perhaps we as an audience are just too lazy to care what's put on our plate? We seem to eat so complacently.

People care so little about anything it seems these days, shouldn't we at least care and demand to know what's going on in the world around us?

I guess I'll continue to get my news from the people making and living it - thank you Twitter.

Good article from Newsweek here.

Photo courtesy of Brad Paisley.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I agree with you. I only heard of the flooding via a friends facebook post. Then I tried to google info on it and didn't find much at all. Nothing stating the depth of the situation. (no pun intended)